- Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center
- Asian American Cultural Center
- Diversity & Social Justice Education
- La Casa Cultural Latina
- LGBT Resource Center
- Native American House
- Women’s Resources Center
- International Education
OIIR International Education
Graduate Assistantship 2018-2019
Position begins August 2018
Type of Position
The Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations (OIIR) strives to improve campus climate by providing transformative learning experiences to the Illinois community that result in an appreciation for diversity and cross-cultural engagement. OIIR International Education (IE) provides programs to enhance such experiences, connecting international and domestic students and to “help all students develop global awareness and cultural competency," as outlined in the strategic plan of the University of Illinois. OIIR IE will hire one or two graduate assistants to fill programming support needs. Pre-professional graduate assistantship appointment will be for 25% or 50%-time for the period of August 16, 2018- May 15, 2019, with a tuition waiver possible for students from certain academic programs, primarily those from the College of Education. There are possibilities of summer appointment as a graduate hourly at the rate of $10-13 per hour, depending on experience.
The OIIR IE graduate assistantship provides students an opportunity to undertake creative and challenging assignments that provide a greater understanding of higher education administration and international education, in particular. Graduate assistants will work on programs that promote educational, social and cultural understanding for students and members of the University and Champaign-Urbana communities. Graduate assistants will assist in many aspects of the daily operations and administration of International Education, especially the GLOBE program. Occasional evening and weekend work is expected. Browse our website for more details: https://oiir.illinois.edu/our-cultural-resource-centers/international-education.
- Maintain a schedule of 10 or 20 hours of work per week
- Duties may include a combination of the following areas, depending on applicants' interests and skills:
- Assist in developing, implementing, and coordinating programs of international education and support engagement between domestic and international students
- Assist in recruiting and selecting program participants by conducting information sessions, selecting a diverse and strong pool of applicants and teaming up in small cohorts.
- Assess programs to identify needs and evaluate learning outcomes
- Other International Education related duties as assigned
- Enrollment in any graduate program at UI during the period August 2018 – May 2019, though preference is for students in the College of Education
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team and independently with a high degree of initiative
- Experience in intercultural communication
- Study abroad experience preferred, but not required
- Professional experience and/or academic specialization in international student/education issues preferred, but not required
- Include a letter of interest, indicating your academic interests and career goals, description of your leadership, and programming experience.
- Include a resume or cv and contact information for three references.
- Email completed application as an attachment to yunshi (at) illinois.edu.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and interviews may be scheduled as soon as applications are received. For highest consideration, please submit materials by Sunday, February 25, 2018.
- For more information, contact Yun Shi, Program Director for International Education, at 333-9300 or yunshi (at) illinois.edu.